Friday 8 August 2014

Some recent pieces.


Bulletins

They want to know why people are stressed
and so depressed in this modern age.
People’s lives were always tough
you took the smooth along with the rough
yet stress has mounted, year on year
so why is that? Could it be fear?
In days of yore concerns were yours
you didn’t know of far off wars,
of other nations’ trouble and strife
of some guy beating or killing his wife,
unless that guy lived very near
these were things you’d never hear.
You see what I mean? The more we learn
the more we worry, the more we burn
with deep concern
for matters we haven’t a hope in hell
of ever solving. Might as well
turn off the tv, the PC screen,
close our eyes to what might have been
and kiss the world goodbye.
Or simply sit and cry.

© August 2014


The Start of Another Day

I wake from a good night’s sleep for once
as the sunlight streams through the window,
growl hello to the cat - my mezzo soprano
is coming out basso profundo.
No energy yet to rise and shine
I submit to her feline wishes
and contemplate having to go downstairs
and deal with a sinkful of dishes.
When the caterwauling becomes intense
I turn myself onto my side
push myself up to a sitting pose
and wait for the room to subside.
I follow her to the bathroom
- she knows my habits well -
then, ablutions done, we go downstairs
to the unkempt kitchen from hell.

©  July 2014


Winnie the Pooh

At times he reminds me of Winnie the Pooh
which  may seem odd to you;
something about his shape perhaps,
the rounded tum, the flattish bum;
he’s sweet and round as a sugar plum.

And the way he walks, and his tender heart,
and his simple child-like intellect
which nonetheless is very wise.

Yes, he can be foolish, thoughtless too at times,
a bear of very little brain?
But he’s such a soft old cuddlesome thing
my sunshine through the rain.

July 2014.


Shot ( A poem of M.E.)

Imagine you’re a rag doll,
sounds funny but it’s not,
for instead of using something soft
they’ve stuffed you with lead shot.

And as you lie upon your bed
in this most parlous state
moving feels impossible:
like shifting a ton weight.

You lie there thinking what the hell
has someone done to me
when suddenly you realise
you really need to pee.

You summon up some energy,
just an ounce or two,
enough to get your body
off the bed and to the loo.

You remember having muscles
but those, it seems have gone.
And as for bones, forget it.
you may as well have none.

For me it isn’t always so,
most days I manage more.
For others it’s a way of life,
truly, I’m in awe.

© July 2014



I Want My Body Back

Someone stole my body; it’s really most remiss.
They took away the one I had, replacing it with this.
Please, I want my body back, I want my body back!

The one I had could walk for miles and running was a cinch.
This one barely moves at all, inch by painful inch.
Please, I want my body back, I want my body back!

Mine was slim and firm and lithe, it loved to dance all night.
This one’s twice the size of mine, a doughball, soft and white.
Please, I want my body back, I want my body back!

I used to have such healthy skin. I’d show it off with pride.
This substitute is spotty - a thing I can’t abide.
Please, I want my body back, I want my body back!

Just look at it: the dimpled thighs, the sagging breasts and butt,
the bingo wings, the flabby skin, the elephantine gut!
Please, I want my body back, I want my body back!

I really am not happy with the one I’m wearing now.
The former Running Deer has been replaced by Sitting Cow!
Please, I want my body back, I want my body back!

If anyone can tell me who took away my body
please let me know, I’d like it back, even if it’s shoddy.
Please, I want my body back, I want my body back!

© July 2014


Opposable Thumbs

I sing in praise of opposable thumbs
and yes I know that may sound dumb
but thumbs are so useful, thumbs are fine
and oh how I miss the use of mine.
With one of them out of action for now
life is much trickier. Thumbs, take a bow!

 June 2014


Fighting For Food

I fight with the fridge to open the door
I fight with wrapping and packets galore.
It’s all for my health and safety of course
as I break my nails and shout myself hoarse.
I don’t know who invents this stuff
that makes my life frustratingly tough.
It only adds to my dejection.
Do we need so much protection?

June 2014








Living in Second Life


Why do I live in Second Life? Cause living there is easy!
I dress with a click, don’t have to wash, and don’t get knackered or wheezy.
There I can walk and run and fly, dancing is a doddle.
Here I can barely get out of bed and walking is more of a waddle.
Want a new house? No problem mate. I’ll have it done in a jiffy.
My island is landscaped, with lake and trees, and none of them look iffy.
Here I’m a sad old so-and-so if occasionally funny.
There I’m young and fit again, in fact a bit of a honey.
So now you know, I love my lives, each for different reasons.
But I have to say it’s rather nice to be able to change the seasons!

:)

© June 2014


Too Early 


Early, too early.
No hint or tint of dawn disturbs
the eastern sky and yet
she wakes me, makes me
beg for mercy. Please
please show some pity
pretty kitty, let me sleep
today.

© May 2014


Little Tablets

Little tablets on the bedside, little tablets made of ticky tacky
little tablets, little tablets, and they all go down the same,
there’s a pink one and a green one and blue one and a yellow one
and they all come in little boxes and they all look very tame.

And the tablets in the boxes all give us some side effects
but the doctors still prescribe them and we take them just the same
And the people don’t imagine that tablets might do them harm
so they swallow all the tablets and they know they’re not to blame.

© May 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment