Saturday 21 December 2013

She

It was Henry Rider Haggard who wrote about She who must be obeyed. I think I may have read the book once but don't really remember the details. Maybe I saw a film of it.

However, I was reminded of it last night, whilst thinking about some people in my life; people I would describe as a force of nature. The kind of people who go through life with all the drive of a hurricane or a flood, carrying all before them.  If I mention Hyacinth Bucket, or Keeping Up Appearances, you should get the idea.  She, or he, who must be obeyed.

There is no implied threat of punishment, nothing to give just cause to their demands. It is just expected that you will agree with whatever they want. Saying no simply isn't an option. Unless of course you are as strong willed as they are and can walk away unscathed and guilt free.

Are such people are deliberately or intentionally bullying? I don't believe so, nonetheless that's what it is. They seem to think that if they want to do something it should be done. They make plans which brook no opposition.  It doesn't even occur to such people that others may have plans of their own which they are interfering with, or destroying.

It can be very wearing living with such people. You have to either simply acquiesce, go along with whatever is expected, or become very frustrated.

Is it good for such people to have everyone bow down to their wishes? Hard to say. I have tried standing up to them but often I have felt like the proverbial "idiot child", knowing nothing, having no say in what happens to me.  I have learned in time to not mind that. Being humbled is good for the soul, or so they tell me.  Life is certainly easier if you bend before the wind, go with the flow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment