Saturday 29 June 2013

Songs for Second LIfe. Maybe true for you?

The music for this first song is a traditional morris tune going back to the 18th century. It was collected by folk song collector Cecil Sharp, who in turn got it from morris dancer William Kimber. Australian composer Percy Grainger had a hit with a piano arrangement of the tune in 1919. Robert M.Jordan added the lyrics "An English Country Garden" in 1958.  I have added my own words to the tune. I don't expect it to make the charts. But you never know.
 
My Second Life Inventory.

How many items do I really use in my Second Life Inventory?
Most of the stuff has never paid its dues in my Second Life Inventory
Dances and a dancing floor, animations by the score
textures and sounds that called to me;
Years of hunt things I get I've never opened yet
In my Second Life Inventory.

How many objects do I really know in my Second Life Inventory?
I am convinced they multiply and grow in my Second Life Inventory.
Shoes and boots of many hues, outfits that I never use
sit in their folders patiently;
There are freebies galore from lucky chairs and more
In my Second Life Inventory.

How many snapshots languish alone in my Second Life Inventory?
Some in a viewer, others on their own, in my Second Life Inventory.
Photos of my avatar, looking like a movie star,
some with my boyfriend no one will see
There are even a few of of folk I never knew
In my Second Life Inventory.

Then there's the place I haven't yet explored in my Second Life Inventory
Lindens provided yet another hoard in my Second Life Inventory.
Avatars I'll never need, probably they also breed,
raising the total needlessly,
If I don't get it clear I'll simply disappear
in my Second Life Inven-tor-y…

© 2013

The second is my version of what became Bob Hope's signature tune, written as Thanks for the Memory, by Ralph Rainger and Leo Robin in 1938.

Thanks For the Memories. 

Thanks for the memories
Of dancing so divine, of playing concubine,
The smooching and the skybox and the times that we entwine
How lovely it's been!

Thanks for the memories
Of starry nights and moons, and Michi Renoir tunes,
the arguing and making up, the countless honeymoons,
How crazy it's been !

Many's the time that we broke up
And many's the time that we made up
and even when Second Life played up
We sure had fun and no harm done

And thanks for the memories
Of lions, birds and more, of avatars galore,
You might have been a headache but you never were a bore
So thank you so much.

Thanks for the memories
Of lingerie and lace, expressions on your face,
And motor bikes and aeroplanes you crashed with so much grace
How funny it's been!

Thanks for the memories
the good times and the bad, the happy and the sad
and times we made our friends all think we'd gone a little mad.
How crazy it's been.

We said goodbye so often
Then I got as high as a steeple
But we are such passionate people
To be apart would break my heart.

So, thanks for the memory
And strictly entre-nous, my darling how are you?
I guess we had a lot of dreams that never will come true
but I'm really glad I met you and I know that you are too
So thank you so much.

© 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment